If you visit any wow related website, mostly the important ones, curse network: mmo-champion, aj, wowhead (ZAM), etc., you will notice that Rift is all over the place.
7 Reasons why Rift is a fail!
1. Too much advertising and intruding over wow players, unlike they should not annoy the users posting advertising on websites that are wow themed. Is like spam, like you would get on your email “look, play our game, it’s better”.
2. Trion Worlds (the developers of Rift), an anonymous company is trying to compete with the biggest company in terms of game developing. Who are Trion Worlds? They don’t even have a wikipedia page. Looking on their official website (trionworlds.com), seems they have released only two more games, “End of Nation” and “Sify Action MMO”. Nobody heard about those games, and they already come up with a game comparable with World of Warcraft. This only shows arrogance and stupidity.
3. Lame atempts. Rift will combine all the good aspects of today’s MMOs, WoW, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, etc.
Big fail! If you won’t come with something new, nobody will see those “good aspects”. Guild Wars already tried and failed when they tried to merge wow, diablo and bioware’s games (neverwinter nights, baldur’s gate, etc) into a single game.
4. It’s coming too late, after many many years of World of Warcraft, players are already filled up with the fantasy, same concepts. A WoW clone won’t do anything good. A game like Risen 2 made by a small German team has all the chances to get more money and more respect from the fans. Rift is just a money sucker that will get some money from the subscribers for a while, and after they will just make the game free and in the end close the servers.
5. Rift is ugly. The game has no sense of art. Is just booring looking, nothing artistic there. Is not just about graphics, is about level design and game architecture. Watch some Rift gameplay videos on YouTube and you will see the lame environments, the characters that are running like being cripple, some things that are more for the games released 10 years ago, see the ugly circles under characters. Also characters having no good looking gear, the fights are not dynamic, not a single feeling that you are there to “get some real action”.
6. Rift is trying to fix wow bugs. Like Heroic Leap who actually works on higher ground in Rift, but not in WoW.
Playing Rift just because it’s fixing wow bugs is just betraying your former game. This is what WoW is all about, bugs, imbalance, blue posts, nerfs, buffs and angry people whining on the forums. Nobody likes a perfect world like Rift claims that has created.
7. The overall reason why Rift is a fail, is that this game won’t bring anything new, no fancy experiences, the game is still rated for “12 years old”, doesn’t have a world in ruin, neither a beautiful world, no story, no gameplay. Is just another MMO that benefited from an advertising boom.